Woolley, H., J. Dunn, C. Spencer, T. Short & C. Rowley, 1999, The child as citizen: experiences of British town and city centres., in: Journal of Urban Design, 4, 3
- Author : Woolley, H., J. Dunn, C. Spencer, T. Short & C. Rowley
- Year : 1999
- Journal/Series : Journal of Urban Design
- Volume Number (ANNUAL: Counting Volumes of the Year shown above) : 3
- Volume Number (CONSECUTIVE: Counting all Volumes of this Journal ever published) : 4
- Pages : 255-282
- Abstract in English : A qualitative study of the views of British 10-12 years olds is reported. The focus is on children’s perceptions of their local urban centres, and in particular on the concerns and fears they have about using centres. In all published discussions on the urban scene, children are virtually absent, and it is the aim of this paper to redress this by giving an impression of their views and to understand the use patterns. What children feel will, we argue, influence the future of urban areas. The article offers recommendations improving children’s’ environments.
- Comments/Notes : KEYWORDS: children, participation, safety, town centre, place attachment, well being. UTILITY: lecturers/teachers, academic research, students of universities of professional education. This paper reports the same research as in Landscape Research 24 (30) more comprehensively.