The initiativ was startet by a small group of university students. They contacted the authorities of the district and worked out a way to start a community garden. In cooperation with the authorities they got funding and found a a suitable plot. It is part of a small public green space or park designed by a professional landscape architecture office. The surrounding part is designed as a “ruderal park” based on a mixture of pioneer species like willows, Buddleja and tall wild herbacious like Solidago. The hard structures like brick walls and paving of the ruderal area were done by landscape contractors. All planting and sowing in the Community plot was done by the group with the support of a landscape architect with full training as a gardener. Already in the first season the colourfull, lush community garden stands out strongly against the somewhat greyish “Ruderalpark”.
- Area : 0,0045 (450 qm)
- GPS X : 0.000000000000000000
- GPS Y : 0.000000000000000000
- Project start : 2002
- Project end : 2003
- Implementation start : 1999
- Implementation end : 2002
- Project Status : Completed Project
- Client : privat group of citizens
- Ownership : Public
- Accessibility : Unrestricted areas
- Brief Description : The garden is located in the back of a small public green space. It is maintained by a loosly organised group of neighbors including many families with young children. They meet regurlary about once a month and have set up a schedule for watering the tender plants like vegetables.
The garden is divided into several borders. The largest is an herbacious border, the others are mixed ones planted with annuals, unusual vegetables and herbs. Some fruit trees and berry shrubs give structure. The first aspekts start in about March with early flowering bulb like botanic Narcissus and Tulips and are followed by perennials, fruit trees and annuals. Till the first frost in November/December late perennials like Aster novi-belgii keep flowering. The perennials and sturdy vegetable like kale are left for ornament in winter.
- Image Title : the garden in summer