Kaplan, R. & E.J. Herbert, 1987, Cultural and sub-cultural comparisons in preferences for natural settings, in: Landscape and Urban Planning, , 2
- Author : Kaplan, R. & E.J. Herbert
- Year : 1987
- Journal/Series : Landscape and Urban Planning
- Volume Number (ANNUAL: Counting Volumes of the Year shown above) : 2
- Pages : 281-293
- Abstract in English : While preferences for natural settings are remarkably consistent, some variation occurs across people of different ages, ethnic groups and areas of expertise. This research analyse the actual preference level and perceptual categories getting more insight in these differences and compare cultural and sub-cultural factors in both preference and perception. The study suggests different way of seeing the environment. While preference is affected by familiarity, people do not necessarily prefer what they are familiar with. Preference is also affected by other factors. The result of this study may have important implications for public participation and the management of land resources.
- Comments/Notes : KEYWORDS: KEYWORDS: preferences, familiarity, participation, quality, group differences. UTILITY: lecturers/teachers, academic research.