Green Roof concept initially arrived aiming to be used for the heat insulation of the houses in Scandinavia in 1800?s. People, who had lived in Scandinavia, used the green roofs on their houses for this purpose and this approach had spread in North Europe.
Nearly 30 years ago, people started to use green roofs, on top of the modern buildings. As a result of intensive usage and lost green areas in the cities, the importance of green roofs has increased. Green roofs usually consist of small plants or ground covering plants, shallow growing medium, light-weight materials which are produced from recycled materials. Therefore, green roofs have low maintenance needs, easy installation opportunities and also they don?t bring too much weight to the building below.
Generally, while roof gardens are used for aesthetical purposes, green roofs are used for the ecological benefits that they bring to the city. Especially, green roofs are used for heat insulation on the buildings, reducing the energy costs of cooling and heating, stormwater run-off control, reducing the urban heat island effect and waste water management.
In this study, main aim is to discover the effects of green roofs to the environment, city, building and life quality in the building. Therefore by establishing a test site, responses of a green roof in Istanbul climate conditions will be determined with multiple measurement devices. Thus, as a new concept in our country, importance of the green roofs in urban ecosystem will be investigated.
- Title Original : Istanbul Iklim Ko?ullar?nda Bitkilendirilmi? Çat?lar?n Bina ve Kent Düzeyinde De?erlendirilmesi
- Website : http://greenroofsistanbul.weebly.com/
- Project start : 2010
- Project end : 2012
- Contact Person : Adnan UZUN, Mert EKSI
- Funding Agency : Istanbul University Scientific Research Projects Coordination Agency
- Project Partners : Istanbul University Scientific Research Projects Dept.
- Location : Turkey, Bahçeköy Merkez Mh., lat : 41.175137142036620000 - lng : 28.991291821002960000 address : ?stanbul Ünv. Bahçeköy Kampüsü, Bahçeköy Merkez Mh., Orman Fakültesi, 34450 Bahçeköy Merkez Mh./Istanbul Province, Turkey
- Image Title : IULA GRRP