School age-youngsters who live in cities need an environment in which they will be able to set linear relations with nature in order to develop their cognitive, emotional and psycho-motor skills. Because they are controlled special environments, school gardens offer more considerable possibilities to create planned behaviours in children than external environments which encourage learning, informally. The purpose of this study is to examine the suitability of primary school’s gardens in Antalya for educational activities and effective learning. In the study carried on in Antalya, the specific aims addressed were:
• To determine adequacy of the existing circumstances and availability of the physical conditions,
• To determine the problems in terms of planning and design,
• To determine principals’ and assistant principals’, teachers’ students’ and parents’ views about the adequacy of the design of school gardens in terms of a better educational setting,
• To design a better school garden which will be able to offer various and qualified learning opportunities supportive to the curriculum; and offering new solutions to the problems which will be observed through pilot applications (getting the required permissions from the authorities, organizing sample studies, forming volunteer working groups, finding financial support for practicing the new ideas, training school administrators, teachers, students, and parents).
This study was carried out with observation, investigation and evaluating techniques. In observation stage, existing circumstances and availability of the physical conditions of the school gardens and problems were determined. The data about the views of the groups was collected by a questionnaire which was developed by the researchers. The data collected by the questionnaire was statistically analyzed.
- Title Original : İlköğretim Okulları Bahçelerinin Eğitimsel Etkinlik ve Öğrencilere Katkılarının Değerlendirilmesi: Antalya Örneği
- Project start : 0000
- Project end : 2010
- Contact Person : Sibel MANSUROĞLU
- Funding Agency : TUBİTAK
- Image Title : schoolgarden5