Wuellner, L.H., 1979, Forty guidelines for playground design, in: Journal of Leisure Research, 11, 1
- Author : Wuellner, L.H.
- Year : 1979
- Journal/Series : Journal of Leisure Research
- Volume Number (ANNUAL: Counting Volumes of the Year shown above) : 1
- Volume Number (CONSECUTIVE: Counting all Volumes of this Journal ever published) : 11
- Pages : 4-14
- Abstract in English : Playground are a multi-million dollar business, yet they receive very little use. Through used infrequently, playgrounds are a major cause of accidents. Children often resort to hazardous behaviour in an attempt to make play on these areas more exciting. Playgrounds could offer a safe and stimulating environment for the child’s physical and social development if current research on play behaviour is considered in playground design. While designers consider the behavioural aspects of playgrounds, researchers should consider the design aspects. Some of the critical research on play and play environments is summarized into forty guidelines for playground design.
- Comments/Notes : KEYWORDS: children, play, playgrounds, playground design, play theory, playground use, quality. UTILITY: lecturers/teachers, academic research, students of universities of professional education.