Gaster, S., 1992, Historical changes in children’s access to US cities: a critical review, in: Children’s Environments, 9, 2
- Author : Gaster, S.
- Year : 1992
- Journal/Series : Children's Environments
- Volume Number (ANNUAL: Counting Volumes of the Year shown above) : 2
- Volume Number (CONSECUTIVE: Counting all Volumes of this Journal ever published) : 9
- Pages : 23-26
- Abstract in English : Although urban children’s lack of access to their neighbourhoods is a problem widely acknowledged as having roots in the historical development of cities, few investigations have illuminated this. This paper outlines the development since 1830 of public policy toward the urban public environment that children use, with special attention to New York City. The author suggests that urban planning and policy that is conscious of children’s needs has been absent from the national scene for the past sixty years.
- Comments/Notes : KEYWORDS: children, playing, history. UTILITY: lecturers/teachers, academic research, students of universities of professional education.