The place was mostly used and contaminated by dog owners and parked cars. In 2000, the City of Vienna (MA 19) and the Area Renewal Office Leopoldstadt invited to a competition to redesign the area. The newly designed space should be a place for communication, designed innovative and gender sensitive.<br><br>Four years later, the redesign of the park has been realised. The presence of the architect on the field has allowed that the competition entry has been unchanged implemented. The winning project takes up the theme of Wilhelminian green ring in a different and contemporary form. The parking lot has been dissolved and traffic passing the square could be reduced.<br>
- Area : 0,3
- GPS X : 16.405055100000027000
- GPS Y : 48.219352000000010000
- Project start : 2000
- Implementation start : 2003
- Implementation end : 2004
- Context : The Ilgplatz can be located in the Stuwerviertel, in Vienna's second district near the exhibition grounds, the WU Campus and the design project 'Wilhelmskaserne'. The circular space with the surrounding street reminds at a roundabout with four exits. The asphalt of the road also diffuses in the space inside as well as the user. The urban square can be accessed from four sides. The park is enclosed by ancient houses of the Wilhelminian time, which have a space bounding effect.
- Website : http://
- Project Status : Completed Project
- Ownership : Public
- Accessibility : Unrestricted areas
- Notes : The Ilgplatz is close to the subway station Messe Prater U2.
- Brief Description : The
redesign of the park has been completed in the year of 2004. Today, there is a circular space surrounded by street and high walls of ancient houses. At
the edge are inwardly sloping lawns which serve as
demarcation to the road and provide a feeling of safety and security. They also offer a thick underground for therein planted trees, which provide shades and also privacy. Access to the space inside is still given. On the square you can find a water basin for washing hands or water games, flower hills,
which are surrounded by concrete paving units, and a play equipment.
The floor is made of asphalt and oval ornaments of concrete paving units that also were taken for the oval flower hills. Special seating offers a two-part bank whose users can either look towards the space inner surface or outer surface. Dogs are not allowed at the urban square.
- Designer : Richard Zeitlhuber, Karin Zeitlhuber
- Location : Austria, Wien, lat : 48.219352000000010000 - lng : 16.405055100000027000 address : Ilgpl., 1020 Wien, Austria
- Project Name : Original : Ilgplatz
- Type : Urban squares, Urban squares