- Address : Mecklenburger Straße
- Region : North Hesse
- Area : 4.6
- GPS X : 0.000000000000000000
- GPS Y : 0.000000000000000000
- Implementation start : 1999
- Implementation end : 2000
- Project Status : Completed Project
- Client : ARGE Marbachshöhe GWG Wohnstadt
- Ownership : Public
- Accessibility : Unrestricted areas
- Brief Description : Playground with a difference: Between 1996 and 2006, a new innovative city quarter was built on the former site of the Wittich and Hindenburg Barracks: Marbachshöhe. In the course of the master planning for the area, the idea of a playground was developed, to be implemented inside the 4600m² huge former shooting range.
The landscape architects used the existing high ramparts and turned these into play hills. The play devices are integrated into the hills. Instead of only providing conventional devices being found on any common playground, there are play elements here which were individually created following the subjects of "pirates" and "american indians". In a varied combination with the steeply sloping terrain, they call children to "real" adventures and offer a remarkable diversity of uses.
Behind the ramparts, there is the old backstop wall which is also re-used in various ways. Here, both artists and athletes can express themselves: basketball and football games are possible within the backstop wall.
The concrete walls are also used as "canvas" by Graffiti artists and provide a happy and colorful, constantly changing eye-catcher.
Where soldiers shot in former days do now children play. For the older generation, the small square at the entrance of the playground offers different features, including the ability to play boules. Overall, therefore, a place that has got something for everyone.
- Designer : Planungswerkstatt für Gärten und Stadtgrün, Kassel
- Image Title :