Harmanescu, Mihaela; Popa, Andreea, 2012, Responsibility through environmental education – sustainable development from theory to praxis, Sustainablity, Rethinking vb Materialization Conference proceedings, STRAND – Sustainable Urban Society Association
- Author : Harmanescu, Mihaela; Popa, Andreea
- Year : 2012
- Title English : Responsibility through environmental education – sustainable development from theory to praxis
- Publisher : Sustainablity, Rethinking vb Materialization Conference proceedings, STRAND – Sustainable Urban Society Association
- Abstract in English : The environmental aspects, from the aesthetic to the practical ones, can be easily placed within the fields of architecture, urban planning and landscape design, emphasizing the need to be part of the compulsory education system. Promoting a sense of responsibility through environmental approach, the objective of Romanian School of Architecture and Urban Planning is to integrate the concept of sustainable development in education processes.
The paper refers to the Faculty of Urban Planning curricula structure that shows two ways to approach environment-related problems in our education, so that we have: general and specific approach, from context to object and from project to policy.
The extent to which the environmental education constitutes an acknowledged body of abilities and knowledge provided in the curricula will be represented by means of graphs which measure in terms of time, credits, projects, study cases and content the importance that the concept of sustainable development integrates in the education process of the faculty during the academic years.
The objective of this educational process is to improve life quality by providing students with the “tools” they need in order to solve and prevent the complexity of environmental issues. Trying to move the responsibility forward from theory to a real complex challenge, the paper deals with the next questions about education: What to change? What to introduce? What to leave out? What comes next? What to do and how to do it?
- Comments/Notes : http://www.strand.rs/university/