- Region : Lower Austria
- Area : 50
- GPS X : 16.938021183013916000
- GPS Y : 48.213864227304560000
- Project start : 2002
- Project end : 2007
- Implementation end : -
- Website : http://www.schlosshof.at/en
- Project Status : Completed Project
- Client : Ministry of Economy
- Ownership : Public
- Accessibility : Limited public access
- Notes : The garden is pictured in detail in its original condition in the paintings of Bellotto. These formed an important starting point for the restoration work.
- Brief Description : Baroque palace garden designed for Prince Eugene of Savoy for his 'hunting palace' near the banks of the River March (Morova) and currently under restoration.
The grounds of the imperial Hof Castle occupy more than 50 hectares of
land to the east of the Marchfeld Castle Road.
The magnificent complex was built in the early 18th century through the
efforts of two of the most important personalities of the Austrian
Baroque period. Field Marshall Prince Eugene of Savoy was already a
legend in his own lifetime. An enthusiast for the arts, he provided
almost unlimited funding for the construction, and the brilliant
architect Lucas von Hildebrandt used it to realise his virtuoso concept
of a unique ensemble, comprising a magnificent palace, beautifully
designed terraced gardens and an idyllic country estate.
Under its later owner, Empress Maria Theresa, an additional storey was
added to the palatial building, which was remodelled in the style of
French Classicism in accordance with the tastes of the time. The ruler
and her family frequently used Hof Castle as a private refuge but also
as a worthy setting for some of the most magnificent courtly
celebrations in the long history of the Habsburg monarchy.
In 2002 this tradition was resumed in one of the most ambitious cultural
projects in post-war Austrian history. The complex, which had been
increasingly neglected since the 19th century, was revitalised with
utmost attention to the details of its architectural history, and in May
2005 it was reopened to visitors. Unique in Europe, this world of
adventure has since become a top destination for those who seek culture,
nature and delight and want to explore the fascinating world of the
Baroque in all its authenticity and diversity in an historical ambience.
- Designer : -
- Project Name : Original : Schloßhof
- Type : Palace parks
- Image Title : Schlosshof 03