Hayward, D.G. & W.H. Weitzer, 1984, The public’s image of urban parks: past amenity, present ambivalance, uncertain future, in: Urban Ecology, 8,
- Author : Hayward, D.G. & W.H. Weitzer
- Year : 1984
- Journal/Series : Urban Ecology
- Volume Number (CONSECUTIVE: Counting all Volumes of this Journal ever published) : 8
- Pages : 243-268
- Abstract in English : This research reports two studies which focused on the public’s ‘image’ of urban parks. The contributions of these studies include the definition and measurement of image, analysis of relationship between image and behaviour, an intervention to change the public’s image and application of research to park management and planning needs. Results from survey of residents living near in three parks in three New England cities reveal that park image is a substantial and consistent predictor of an individual’s decision to use a park, and the descriptive component of image (knowledge of the park) can be improved significantly by mailed brochure.
- Comments/Notes : KEYWORDS: parks, urban park, use, recreation, communication, participation. UTILITY: lecturers/teachers, academic research, students of universities of professional education.